I’ve decided to start chronicling the development of my Unity-based Last Age game, so here’s a test clip I threw together to showcase some new code I’ve been working to implement.
A stress-test of my Unity3D-based game project, Last Age: Guard Force Commander. This particular scene uses my own Constitution class and Saladin class models (Made in Blender3D), based on the New Paradigm Studios blueprints and the Saladin blueprints by L. Allen Everhart, Jr. found at http://www.cygnus-x1.net. This is a test of some of the following C# scripts I’ve written, including:
ObjectScanner – A script that allows you to select objects by clicking, iterate through objects of a specified type (planets, ships, etc.) and switch between view modes (free camera, mouse orbit, etc.).
UnitID – A script describing ship attributes and statistics, such as crew complement, hull integrity, offensive capability and any associated notes.
ThreeDWander – A class that enables randomized 3D exploration, obstacle avoidance (disabled for further development, hence the explosions) and target designation and tracking.
FormationFlight – Arranges a fleet in formation at runtime. Currently, I have Line, Delta and Wall formation working, and you can specify the different types of units included in the fleet (at present, they are distributed randomly). In the future, I want to include the ability to lock the ships into formation, and to change formations on the fly.
ProceduralStellarSystem – A script that procedurally generates a star cluster and assigns names, orbits, textures, locations and establishes a coordinate system for objects on the surface of planets.
There are 26 solar systems in the Anganar cluster, with a maximum of 12 planets each, representing the full range of Trek planet classifications. The primaries are randomly picked from the range of main-sequence stars. I’ve also added the ability to scale the star systems so that when you’re in range of the system itself, you would enter a level with appropriately scaled planets, etc.
I’m actually much further along with this project, but I’m in the process of refining and optimizing the scripts I’ve written in the past. One priority is to write a more efficient weapons system. The one I have is written in UnityScript (I do want to convert it to C#), and it’s extremely resource-intensive. Just thought this was a cool visual. There will be many more videos in coming weeks. It’s all a great learning experience, and I’ve been able to accomplish things that seemed impossible from the outset. It can only improve. I think my next video will be an actual gameplay clip from a previous version.