Based on a pencil sketch on graph paper, I ran this through a Photoshop Actions template I created (to remove the lines, increase the contrast and create symmetry). I used Procreate to paint the texture on my iPad.
Modeling, material and rendering were done in Blender3D. I plan to use either Illustrator or Autodesk Graphic to clean up the lines, create some greebles and a normal map, and better define the technical aspects of the ship.
I was experimenting in Sverchok (a procedural content generation plugin for Blender3D) to develop a method for creating internal decks for a ship. I was fairly successful, but the process as I’ve worked it out so far is a bit tedious and not 100% satisfactory. I’ll be refining it in the future and perhaps creating some convincing cutaways with what I’ve learned.
Link to Sverchok: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Nodes/Sverchok
It’s been ages, I know, but rest assured that I’ve been working on honing my Blender3D skills and working on a solid portfolio worthy of your discerning little eyeballs. This is a piece designed on dead-tree paper, modeled in Blender, textured in Illustrator and rendered in Blender’s newly updated engine, Cycles. It’s one of many projects that have marked a new direction for me in 3D art, and I think it’s time for me to start sharing the results. I’m planning many more ambitious works in the near future, so stay tuned. Just wanted to let out a little squeak to let folks know I’m still around. Hope you enjoy, and I’m excited to bring you much more in the near future.
I did these quite awhile ago and meant to post them, but oh well… A few renders of my initial Zynecherian face, modeled in Sculptris and textured/rendered in Blender. I guess I’ll post some concept sketches as well. Enjoy! Need to continue work on this one, but I might just have to switch over to Messiah Studio, to which I recently scored a discounted license.
Love this design. It took me about five hours altogether– a lot of experimentation and mesh fixing. I tried to send it in to Shapeways for 3D printing, but there were unspecified errors with the mesh, so I’m going to have to work on it some more. It’ll be great to hold one of my ships in my hand, though. On the plus side, this model allowed me to get comfortable with some of the more advanced aspects of Blender modeling, such as creating manifold shapes, vertex fixing, subsurface division, UV mapping, material editing and some new lighting techniques. Lots of fun.